In 1945, Albert L Tweed, Sr. opened a small locksmith shop in downtown Portsmouth. Several years later, Ernie Floyd joined him and as their business grew, they relocated their shop to its present location at 601 Elm Ave. Through the years Tweeds continued to grow and office help, sales people and technicians were added to the work force. Tweeds also became a distributor for hundreds of manufacturers of locksmith supplies, hardware and related materials. The combination of good service, wholesale and retail sales has helped to make Tweeds the successful business it is today.